Monday, January 23, 2012

Birthday Celebrations...what to do?!

I apologize for the lack of updating! Life seems to be passing by and while I've had good intentions of blogging, I just haven't :)

So, there's only about a week left of January! I can't believe it. I remember thinking that the first week was taking forever and wondering how I was ever going to get through the month with only spending money in 7 places. In actuality, it really hasn't been that hard. We have had to think through some things though.

We had 2 friends who had birthdays this month and we had been invited to their birthday celebrations...at restaurants that weren't on our list. Josh and I ended up taking a walk one evening and I asked how this was going to work. Both the birthday celebrations were last week. We decided that this 7 Experiment is to help us in our spiritual practice and that the point was not to be legalistic about it. So what were we going to do? We decided that we wanted to honor our friends and celebrate them, as their friendships are important to us and we want to love them. We decided that I would get to go to one party (an all women party) and that the both of us would go to the other and that we'd allow ourselves to spend money there. We also decided that we wouldn't eat out at Fresco for the rest of the month because of this. At that time, the task seemed daunting. In my mind, and I think I said it too, I thought, "NO MORE EATING OUT THIS MONTH?!?!!?!" And then I thought...we were more than half way through the month. I stopped and paused further and reminded myself that this isn't the end of the world and that there are so many people who are not able to have the freedom to eat out freely when they want to.

Also...it ended up that we didn't have to spend money at one of the events.

No comments: